Friday, October 5, 2012

Colorado Springs: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo & Air Force Academy

It's hard to believe but my last two posts were from everything we did SATURDAY...we crammed all that into one exhausting (but fun!) day. Sunday we drove by the very first house I lived in, went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, and visited the Air Force Academy. 

The first house I lived in!
The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is appropriately named because it is located on the side of Cheyenne Mountain at an elevation of 6,800 feet. This was by far one of my favorite zoos I've ever been too. There's beautiful views and tons of great exhibits. My mom used to come here all the time when she was pregnant with me...not sure how she did it with all the hills going up the mountain! She even pretended to go into labor here a week before my due date when she was here with some friends! We had lots of fun and saw a lot of animals up close! If you ever go to Colorado Springs this is a must visit!

Giraffes up close & personal
Love this guy
Check out that tongue
Pretty habitat
Love the meerkat on the lookout!
Moose! They are so big!
Justin is clearly scared of the bear
I just want a bear hug!
Pacing tiger
These bears were SO fun to watch!
Mr. Peacock
Hahaha I love him
Probably one of my fav pictures of the day...he looks like he's either about to attack or give a speech
Justin & I on the way down
Hippo
Penguins!
View of Colorado Springs from the Sky Tram
Dad & I went because Mom & Justin chickened out
View of the giraffes on the way down

After the zoo we headed over to the Air Force Academy. The grounds are massive and of course beautiful with the mountains in the background. We made a few of the scenic stops and "hiked" up to the church. We had to wait for a few minutes for it to open but it was totally worth it - it's beautiful inside. Pictures definitely don't do it justice.


Air Force Academy
They were making fun of my parking job but look...there's NO other cars around so it's fine :)

Chapel
Very neat architecture
Huge organ!!
Really neat stained glass

Some of the dorms
Pretty day
Massive plane!

Finally a jumping picture! I wanted to do this at the top of Pikes Peak but the altitude sickness got me

After the Air Force Academy we drove back up to Denver and spent the night with our old Round Rock neighbors. They live in a super nice and pretty part of Denver so we were able to enjoy the evening and next morning with them. Our flight was at 2pm so it was nice to not have to rush to get home for a change. We crammed a lot into a few days but I'm glad I was finally able to visit where I was born. Justin and I were questioning my parents why they ever left because we loved it there!!

Here are my only Denver pictures taken Monday morning with my iphone...Happy Labor Day :)
Perfect weather for a morning walk in the neighborhood!

Beautiful trees!
They have a tree IN their house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment