Thursday, September 9, 2010

New England Trip

This past weekend Justin, my parents and I took a trip up to New England so Justin could meet my family (especially those who aren’t coming to the wedding). We got into Portland, Maine late Thursday night. On Friday we went out to lunch at Clambake with my grandparents and then took Justin on a tour of Portland all afternoon. We started out with a quick drive through Pine Point (where my great grandparents had a beach house) and then went out to Portland Headlight. It was such a beautiful place! We had nice weather considering Earl was supposed to hit – so the overcast day was not a problem for us! After Portland Headlight we went out to Bug Light Park and then East End Beach. After our Portland tour my mom and I took Justin to Freeport so he could see L.L Bean. It’s changed so much since I was there 2 years ago – too bad we didn’t have time to shop!!




Justin, Mimi, Bampy, & Me @ Portland Headlight
 
Portland Headlight
 Saturday we got up and drove to Boston. It was only about a 2 hour ride and it was a nice sunny day. We were making a game of trying to get all of the state welcome signs - I did better than Justin, just saying! ;) Once we made it to Boston we went on a trolley tour all around. It was a really good way for Justin to get a taste of Boston. We ended up getting off and walking through the Boston Common and going to the North End for a wonderful Italian dinner. We found this little place off the main street that my mom had read a lot of good reviews about and oh my gosh…it was DELICIOUS!! It tied the restaurant we ate at it in San Francisco last summer as the best spaghetti I’ve ever had! I made sure not to stuff myself so I could fit in some gelato after dinner! After dinner we decided to walk off our dinner and walked through Quincy Market on our way back to our hotel – which was near the prudential center. It ended up being about 2 miles but was needed after our dinner!

Frog pond - Boston

Really old cemetary in Boston
 Sunday we got up and drove to Torrington, Connecticut – where my mom grew up. It was a little longer ride than Saturday but not bad at all. The weather was in the 60’s all day which was AMAZING! When we got to Torrington we decided to go to the Goshen Fair – only about a 4 hour drive – that ended up taking over an hour. All this traffic was for this fair so you KNOW it was good! We got to eat lots of yummy (and SO bad for you) fair food including shoestring onion rings, a funnel cake, and apple crisp. After stuffing ourselves in the wonderfully cool weather we decided to go back to my grandpa’s house. It was a really fun day. On Monday one of my mom’s cousins had a Labor Day picnic so Justin got to meet most of my mom’s side of the family. We had another day of gorgeous weather and had so much fun with everyone!



Us @ the Goshen Fair

Me, Dad, & Gee playing bean bags!
 Sadly our trip came to an end yesterday but I was really missing the dogs so it was something to look forward to come home to! Yesterday was Lexie’s 1st birthday so I made her a cake and we had a mini-celebration for her. Of course the new toys we got her are half chewed up/destroyed today but that’s ok!


Get excited about my next post…it will be fully dedicated to Italian sandwiches!!

3 comments:

  1. that sounds like such a fun trip!! im glad yall got to go before the wedding :) ps can we play the beanbag game sometime? i vote we set up a little carnival in your backyard and make a day of it!!! also, i feel like i gained 10 pounds just reading this post! hahaha

    and ps, i cant wait to read your next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEXABUG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love Portland Headlight! Your pictures really make me want to go spend a week on the island! hmm . . . 2013!!

    ReplyDelete